I’ve been giving talks since 2008, starting as the Key-Note speaker for North county Latina Association in San Diego. I started presenting because of my story as a Latina, first generation who went to college and overcame cultural, emotional and mental challenges.
Below are a list of different talks that I have presented:
- Understanding Media Messages (Self Esteem): Deconstructing common media (primarily advertisement) of how women are depicted and messages around women’s bodies. How these messages may influence self-value, self-esteem and self-care. Provide tools/avenues to counter these messages. Emphasize the importance of women/girls creating new messages. Aim towards middle school girls.
- Assertiveness: Illustrates the differences in power communication between passive, aggressive and passive aggressive. Explore reasoning of why one defaults to negative power communication and how one can move to become more assertive with a focus on I-statements.
- Journey into Software Development – Bootcamp: My experience going from social work through non-traditional training to become a software developer.
- Algorithms: Space/Time complexity (big O notation), searching, binary search, several sorting algorithms.
- Learn Bootstrap: Make Your Website Responsive and Modern: In this project-based workshop, you’ll learn how to go beyond with HTML and CSS: using the popular CSS Framework Bootstrap for responsive design and pre-built components.
- White-boarding Interview Prep: This workshop is for programmers who are job hunting or about to be job-hunting.
- Deploying on App Engine (Rock, Paper, Scissors game): presented at GDG San Fransico DevFest on deploying a Rock, Paper, Scissors game on Google’s App Engine that uses Slack’s Slash Command API.
Certified in facilitating:
- WRAP® – Wellness Recovery Action Plan is a self-designed prevention and wellness process that anyone can use to get well, stay well and make their life the way they want it to be. It is used extensively by people in all kinds of circumstances, and by health care and mental health systems all over the world to address all kinds of physical, mental health and life issues, over the course of 8 weeks.
- Abriendo Puertas® – Abriendo Puertas / Opening Doors is the nation’s first evidence-based comprehensive training program developed by and for Latino parents with children ages 0-5, over the course of 10 weeks.
Feel free to contact me if you would like me to present. I am more than open to adding presentations and customizing to what your event is about. Thank you.